Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 52: Let the fundraising begin

It's official! I have finally started asking people for money. I have transformed from a timid, anti-borrowing student into an assertive, passionate (sort of) solicitor. I just finished writing up my request for my school's morning announcements, and this is essentially what it says:

"CAS to Conquer Cancer:
For her CAS project, Galen will be taking part in the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer. She will be joining hundreds of other cyclists in a 2-day journey from Vancouver B.C. to Seattle. In order to join, each participant must raise at least $2,500 by June 15, the day of the ride. All donations will directly fund the BC Cancer Agency, and its many fields of cancer research. Galen has been training long and hard for this ride, and hopes to find support in the *insert school name here* community. If you would like to help, or just find out more about the ride, feel free to email her or ask her about it the next time you see her. Your support and encouragement could do wonders in the fight against cancer."

I spent a lot of time editing this announcement, because I wanted it to be just right. It's my first real attempt at getting people to donate, and I'm rather nervous. Putting my name up for everyone to see and calling attention to myself is definitely not how I usually behave. I've always been very opposed to seeking gratification for one's good deeds. I firmly believe that if you are truly trying to help a cause, you don't need acknowledgement for your charity, and therefore shouldn't fish for compliments or celebrate yourself. But that's exactly what I had to do for this announcement. Since I'm not allowed to directly request donations, I had to make it seem like all I wanted was encouragement and congratulations, which was hard for me. I wrote at least 5 drafts of this announcement, and kept second-guessing myself each time I wrote out how hard I was working and asked for my classmates' support. But I finally came out with this version, and sent it to my school before I had time for doubt.

I realize that I'm going to have to get used to being proud of myself and telling people how amazing my charity is because, according to most fundraising guides, that's what gets donors excited. I shouldn't feel shame for trying to raise awareness about my bike ride, it's a very good cause--one that I would hate to miss out on simply because I was too embarrassed. I feel like I've finally accepted that if I want to have $2,500 by June, I'll have to swallow my pride, get over my fears, and ask as many people as possible to donate. And if I want to earn lots of donations, I can't have a timid or hesitant demeanor; I have to be strong, confident, and proud of my cause. This first phase of my fundraising process made me realize that I can and will raise the necessary funds by my deadline. I just have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment