Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 21: New Bike!

Today my mom and I made my commitment to this project official by buying a new bike and all the necessary attachments! If you watch my video about trying out my bike rollers, you can see what my old bike looked like.  It's a strong, silver trek model that has 24 gears, and is intended for street rides and minimally-damaging forest routes, as you can tell by the thickness of its wheels. It was a good, sturdy bike, and I was very reluctant to replace it. I believe I bought it when I was 12 years old, so I've had it for four years. Understandably, after riding it for a quarter of my life, I'm rather attached to it. I had been delaying the inevitable upgrade to a more suitable bike, because I felt an unusual sense of loyalty for my trusty silver Trek. It seemed like a form of betrayal to replace it, and I could never be a traitor--even to a bike. But today, I finally let go of this unsolicited guilt, and paid a visit to the bike shop.

The employees at the shop were very willing and eager to help. When my mom explained (I was too nervous to speak for myself) that I would be doing a long-distance ride in June, and would require the appropriate equipment for it, the staff seemed to immediately know which bike to recommend. The bike they selected for me was a slim, lightweight model with curved handlebars, and a gear switch attached to the breaks to free the rider from frequently changing their hand position. The bike's wheels were much thinner than my old bike's, and it didn't have as many gears, or a kick stand. Compared to my old Trek, this new model they were offering me was so different, and I was very mistrustful of it. Still, I knew that I should be open to their suggestions, and warily took the bicycle out for a test ride.

The connection with the bicycle was instantaneous. As soon as I started to pedal, I shot off into the parking lot. When I adjusted my direction, the bike turned with me in the blink of an eye. I couldn't stop grinning as the rain pelted my face, and my vision blurred from my outstanding acceleration. In all reality it probably wasn't that fast, but I'm allowed to exaggerate because this is my story and I'm in control. I returned to the shop after a quick trip up to the park and then around the store again. As I came to a stop in front of the glass doors of the shop, I was greeted with the reflection of a slightly-crazy cyclist. My hair was soaked with rain, my cheeks and hands were red after being hammered by the wind, I had a long streak of mud and dirt up my back, and I couldn't stop grinning ecstatically. There was no doubt in my mind that the bike was meant to be my new trusty companion in my upcoming excursion.

I returned to the shop and picked out a waterproof jacket and gloves to replace the ski clothes I'd been using on my rides before. I also bought a set of toe-clips for my pedals, and cycling shoes to go with them. I bought a water bottle holder, a platform for a pannier, and a wheel-replacement kit which the store will teach me how to use. When I was done, I had a new, fully-equipped and accessorized bicycle. Since the bike shop still has to attach some parts to the bike and show me how to use the toe-clips, I won't be able to use it right away, but I'm so excited to own a street bike!

I will still miss my old bicycle, but I know that upgrading is a necessary part of life. We can't get anywhere if we aren't willing to move forward with innovation. That bike was my only independent mode of transportation for four years, and I will always remember it fondly. I should probably get used to the idea that I have a new bike, but just for old-time's sake, I'll be riding my old Trek to school one last time tomorrow. After that, it'll probably sit in our attic, or go onto a new owner who will care for just as much as I did. But whatever I do with it, it will always be the bike that made me love cycling, and you can't upgrade from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment